This recipe is brought to you by my obsession with banana chips. They’re probably the least healthy part of this recipe, but also the reason why I wanted to create a granola that features bananas, walnuts and banana chips.
I tried three brands of banana chips before making this recipe and one thing I noticed is that sometimes banana chips taste like cardboard and other times they are sweet and just crunchy enough. No one needs to break their teeth eating banana flavored cardboard. The winner in my banana chip tasting came as no surprise: Trader Joes.
Walnuts and bananas are such a great combo and since granola needs crunch and texture I added in a nice amount of roughly chopped walnuts to the mix.
To boost the banana flavor even more, I mashed a fresh banana with melted coconut oil and honey, plus a little cinnamon and salt. After the mixture was tossed with the oats and walnuts, I baked it and once cooled, added in pieces of banana chips.
I like eating this granola plain with some cold almond milk splashed over it (cereal style), as well as a topper for a tropical green smoothie bowl. Since I love snacking on banana chips by themselves, eating a handful of the granola for a snack is also an option that I would recommend.
Healthy Homemade Banana Nut Granola Recipe
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup banana chips, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, mash the banana in a bowl. Stir in the coconut oil, honey, cinnamon and salt. Once combined, add in the oats, mixing until the wet mixture coats the oats. Add the walnuts.
- Divide the granola mixture between the two cookie sheets, spreading out evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir the oats and rotate the cookie sheets as needed. Bake for another 10 minutes, checking and stirring every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t get too brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, mix in the banana chips. Store in an airtight container.